This page is by no means a complete or exhaustive list, it contains only some of the more commonly encountered steps to start a business.

Form a New Business or Manage an Existing Business with the State Corporation Commission (SCC)??

If you are starting a new business, you will need to file with the SCC in order to: Form a new Virginia stock corporation, form a new Virginia limited liability company, submit articles for a new Virginia stock or nonstock corporation, and submit articles for a new Virginia limited liability company.

If you are an existing business, you will need to Pay an annual registration fee, file a corporate annual report (if there are no changes to director or officer information of record) change the registered agent/office, change a limited liability company’s principal office address, obtain a certificate of good standing or fact, and submit an amendment or a cancellation.?

Click here to learn more about forming your business in Virginia.

Business, Professional, and Occupational License Tax (BPOL)

All business owners, including owners of home-based businesses, are subject to the BPOL tax. Business owners are required to register their business with the Department of Tax Administration (DTA) within 75 days of beginning business operations in Fairfax County. If not filed within 75 days, a 10% penalty for late filing will apply.Business owners must renew their BPOL License each year. Both filing and payment are due by March 1. If the filing deadline falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or county holiday, the deadline is the following business day. A 10% penalty for late filing will be assessed for renewals submitted after March 1.

Click here to learn more about the Fairfax County BPOL tax.

Other Licenses (dance halls, mixed beverages, bondsmen)

In addition to Business, Professional and Occupational licenses (BPOL), some businesses are required to obtain an additional license and pay a tax.?If you are subject to any of these taxes, you must file and pay annually by January 31.

Please click here to learn more about Other Licenses.?

Alcohol Beverage and Control (ABC) Licenses

The Virginia ABC issues many different kinds of licenses for sale and distribution of alcohol. If you intend sell and or distribute alcoholic beverages, you must apply for a license with the ABC.?

Click here to learn more about the licenses issued by the ABC.

Fire Marshall’s Office: Inspections and Permits?

The Fire Marshal’s Office provides permits, construction related inspections, safety inspections, operational inspections, code enforcement, and fire investigation. Our inspectors are certified by the Commonwealth of Virginia and work closely with other city, county and state agencies to ensure code compliance and provide technical assistance in the application, enforcement and interpretation of codes and standards.

Click here to learn more about the Fire Marshall’s inspections and permits.